Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Taking Grandma Down a Peg (or more.)

I take my role as a grandmother very seriously and am quite proud of being in a very favorable position with my grandchildren. Let's face it.....I'm good at it. Being a grandmother that is. It's been a natural talent since my oldest grandchild, Ashli, was born almost 26 years ago. I nurtured that talent through the next three grandchildren, Brendan, Hali and Marc. The last (yeah, heard THAT word before) grandchild, Cassie; age three, doesn't like me. I know! I can't believe it either, but it's true! Maybe dislike is a strong word....but, she does show a lot of disinterest in me. Me! Even strange wildlife and insects have been drawn to me, but this cute, adorable little tow-head? Not so much. Here's the story:

Our oldest daughter Colette and her two youngest offspring recently came for a visit. They live in Chicago, so it's not like we see them often. When they arrived there were lots of hugs and kisses. Marc hugged me, Cassie hugged her grandfather, her grandfather hugged her mother, her mother hugged Marc. Nope, sorry...they were together. Her mother hugged me, Marc hugged his grandfather, his grandfather hugged his grandmother (we're like that...we hug a lot) but when it came to grandma attempting to hug Cassie; grandma was regarded with an arched, 3 year old eyebrow and a "don't even think about it" attitude. What (?) said I....but, I figured she was tired from the long drive and overwhelmed by seeing everyone hugging and carrying on. So, I thought I'd bide my time. They left yesterday after about a week and a half and I'm still biding. She enjoyed her grandpa, her aunt...her uncle, her cousin...the rocks in the driveway, but not me. She did have a moment or two. Like when she discovered the bottom of my feet were ticklish....that was fun for her. I'm not crazy about being tickled, but hey! I was willing to endure so she could enjoy me. However, there's only so long you can enjoy yourself by tickling someone and she tired of that after about 10 minutes. (Thank goodness!)

Well, I'm sure someday she'll look back on pictures from that visit and say, " Grandma wasn't so bad. Little wacky, but in this family that's to be expected. Kinda fluffy, but that looks rather cuddly. Looks sad, but that's probably because I wasn't paying any attention to her. Over all, not bad for an older kid!" Yeah, that's what she'll say.


More to blog about regarding the visit, but I'll do that later. Can't say enough about grandson Marc. He likes me, he really likes me! A bit of brainwashing at a young age didn't hurt him any.

2 comments:

  1. you are just being too sensitive
    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grand daughter happens to love you very much..... in fact she was just today she was asking me where my mom was at. I asked if she meant Grandma Kay, and she said yeah! So I informed her that we left you in South Dakota and it would be a long long time before we saw you again..... and then she said Ohhhhhhh in a very sad voice. And then her milk shake came and all was well. But as you can see from this, she really does love you. She did not ask me where my dad was!

    ReplyDelete